The holidays are behind us and it’s so easy to get bumped off track.
What if you had 10 steps to help you not only get over your holiday splurges, but to also build habits to make your daily nutrition choices throughout the year?
Here are 10 Simple Fit Female Nutrition Rules to Live by that will help you get back on track.
1. Eat breakfast within 15 minutes of waking up, followed by a meal every three to four hours. This will stoke your metabolism for the day and keep you from getting hungry and reaching for something you shouldn’t.
2. Eat a high-quality protein source at every meal and eat a mixture of different proteins including turkey, chicken, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese, Greek yoghurt, lean roast beef. This will keep your blood sugar stable.
3. Eat a fruit or vegetable along with your protein at each meal. Stick to fruits earlier in the day and veggies as the day goes on.
4. Eliminate all processed carbohydrates including bread, pasta, bagels or anything that has more than a few ingredients.
5. Include healthy fats & oils throughout the day such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds and coconut milk.
6. Eliminate juice, soda and any other beverage with added calories. Instead stick to water, drinking half your body weight in ounces of water every day. Feel free to add lemon, lime or orange slices for flavor.
7. Stick to whole foods instead of bars and shakes whenever possible. Save meal replacements for emergencies. One exception to this rule is post workout when a shake with protein and carbs will be absorbed the quickest giving your body what it needs to recover right away.
8. Supplement with a multivitamin and omega-3 fish oil daily. Think of these as your insurance policy to cover you if you missed a nutrient in your food. In order to have energy, burn fat and feel your best you must have certain vitamins and nutrients present.
9. Always finish your workout with a recovery shake either during your workout or within 10 minutes of finishing.
10. Keep a journal and stick to these rules 90 percent of the time. Plan to splurge no more than 10 percent of the time.
Do not try to follow all ten rules from day one, instead choose one rule to really focus on each week. Once you have that rule down, add another one until they are all ten habits for life. Understand how your body feels when you’re following them and start to see your body make the breakthrough to become fit and fabulous in 2014.